The sportsperson category is for elite sports people and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level, and will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport.

Before you apply under the sportsperson category, you must have:

a sponsor; and
a valid certificate of sponsorship with a governing body endorsement number.

When you apply you are awarded points based on your following attributes:

certificate of sponsorship;
English language skills; and
available maintenance (funds).

If you are applying from outside the United Kingdom and are given permission to come as a sportsperson, you will be able to live and work in the United Kingdom for a maximum time of three years plus one month, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus one month, whichever time is shorter.

If you are already inside the United Kingdom in a different category, you may be able to apply to switch into the category of sports person (Tier 2 sports person). If we approve your application you will be able to live and work here for a maximum of three years, or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever time is shorter.


You should apply if:

you are over 16 years old;
you are not a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland; and

you want to enter or stay in the United Kingdom to work under Tier 2 of the points-based system.

You are allowed to apply if you are:

already in the United Kingdom with permission to stay in an immigration category that allows you to switch into Tier 2;

already in the United Kingdom under Tier 2 and want to extend your permission to stay in your existing category; or

applying from outside the United Kingdom for permission to enter in Tier 2.

You can switch in to the sportsperson category from the immigration categories below:

highly skilled worker (tier 1);
sponsored skilled worker (tier 2);

student nurse, but only if your certificate of sponsorship shows that you are being sponsored to work as a nurse, doctor, or dentist;

student re-sitting an examination;
person writing up a thesis;
overseas qualified nurse or midwife;

postgraduate doctor or dentist, but only if your certificate of sponsorship shows that you have been sponsored to work as a nurse, doctor or dentist;

student union sabbatical officer;
qualifying work permit holder;
Highly Skilled Migrant;

a participant in the International Graduate Scheme (formerly known as the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme);

a representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation;

a participant in Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;
minister of religion, missionary or member of a religious order;
member of the operational ground staff of an overseas-owned airline;
a Jewish agency employee.


Points are awarded for:

a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor;
English language skills;
available maintenance(funds).

You must also have a governing body endorsement number which your sponsor will give you. You must have 70 points to be able to apply. Points are awarded for:

Sponsorship 50
English languages skills 10
Maintenance (funds) 10


While each of these tiers is meant to define clearly those who may benefit, the UK Border Agency has been applying rules relating to the provision of supporting evidence very strictly so extreme care must be exercised in making applications. There are also specific rules relating to the money you must have available to maintain yourself when you first arrive in the United Kingdom. Large numbers of applications in these categories which on their face ought to succeed are being refused because of the failure by applicants to provide all of the information and documentation requested or because of a failure to meet the maintenance requirements. It is therefore beneficial for you to apply through a legal professional who has expertise in UK immigration Law.

WE at IDICULLA SOLICITORS undertake both postal applications and Home Office Same Day premium service. Our fees only cover the cost of preparing and making the initial application. If an appeal or challenge is necessary subsequent to the submission of your application or if a separate application is subsequently required, we will agree separate fees with you. Our fee is as follows and excludes Home Office Fee and VAT;

Postal Applications £900.00
Same Day Premium Service N/A

Home Office Fees


How much you pay for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa depends on where you are.

Who you’re applying for Apply (outside the UK) Extend or switch (in the UK)
You £610 £704
You – as a national of Turkey or Macedonia £555 £649
All dependants £610 each person £704 each person

Healthcare surcharge

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

If you’re applying to extend or switch in the UK

You’ll need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.


If you meet the above criteria please call us on 02380 630 905 or you may contact us online by clicking the button below:


Contact Us →